March 1997 Runner's Web Trivia
Read the trivia question and then click on answer.
- 1. Who was the first runner to win successive Olympic marathons?
- 2. Who broke more records than any other runner from the two miles to one-hour event in the 1960s and yet never won an international championship although he competed in the Olympic or British Empire and Commonwealth Games of 1964, 1966, 1968, and 1970?
- 3. What distances originally made up the distance medley relay race?
- 4. Who was celebrated as the fastest human in the 1920s?
- 5. Who originated the crouch start used in the sprint events?
- 6. What US runner ran his first sub-four-minute mile at age 34 and made four Olympic teams?
- 7. How much money did the runner in question #6 receive for wearing Adidas shoes in the 1968 Final Olympic Trials?
- 8. Name the 1964 Olympic 800M silver medalist who became a Toronto pharmacist?
- 9. Waldemar Cierpinski won the marathon at the 1976 Montreal Olympics.
What was his primary event before moving to the marathon?
- 10. What Canadian wrote the book, The Miracle Machine, a detailed study of the sports system in the GDR?
Comments to: Webmaster