NEW YORK - (December 31, 2008) - Freezing winter weather failed to deter more than 5,000 runners from getting a healthy start to the new year at the 30th Emerald Nuts Midnight Run in Central Park. In addition to a four mile run, the event featured a dance party, costume contest, parade and spectacular fireworks.
Though most participants enjoyed the run at a leisurely pace, competition was fierce at the front, with Sean Quigley of Philadelphia hitting the finish line first in 18:45, followed by Brian Olinger eight seconds back (18:53), while in the women's race, local Westchester Track Club member Aziza Aliyu of Ethiopia edged Team USA Minnesota's Emily Brown with a sprint one second victory, 21:21 to 21:22.
30th Emerald Nuts Midnight Run - New York, NY, Wednesday, December 31, 2008
1) Sean Quigley (USA / PA), 18:45, $600
2) Brian Olinger (USA / OH), 18:53, $400
3) Abiyot Endale (ETH), 18:59, $300
4) David Nightingale (USA / NC), 19:03
5) Mark Kirwan (IRL), 19:19
1) Aziza Aliyu (ETH), 21:21, $600
2) Emily Brown (USA / MN), 21:22, $400
3) Buzunesh Deba (ETH), 22:05, $300
4) Leslie Higgins (USA / NY), 22:15
5) Samia Akbar (USA / VA), 22:37
More race results and photos at: NYRR.org.
Ryan Lamppa, Running USA Media Director
(805) 696-6232; Fax = (805) 659-0016