Tour of Middle East and commemorative race bibs will salute our troops; on-line registration opens July 4th with one week discount price
WASHINGTON, D.C. - (July 2, 2009) - On the eve of the July 4th online registration launch for the 2010 race, the SunTrust National Marathon announces its participation in an important visit to the Middle East that will encourage our troops in their semi-annual Armed Forces Physical Fitness Test. The Warrior Tours: America's Races Salutes the Troops will conduct seven races over seven days at seven U.S. military bases from July 6 to July 16.
Founded by SunTrust National Marathon announcer Robi Powers, The Warrior Tours has received the backing of over thirty of the top running events in the United States. The SunTrust National Marathon will contribute race shirts, medals and other race supplies to be distributed at the events. Among those joining Powers on this seven day encouragement tour for our troops will be Runner's World magazine's Chief Running Officer Bart Yasso. For more on The Warrior Tours, visit: www.thewarriortours.com
To further recognize those who serve in the armed forces, the SunTrust National Marathon has created a special code on the upcoming online registration form for military and their families. Any individual that falls in the category of Active Duty, Guard, Reserve, Dependents, or DOD Civilian Workers can mark MILITARY in the respective box. In return, they will receive a commemorative bib on race day saluting their services to our country.
Online registration for the 5th SunTrust National Marathon and Half Marathon will begin at 12:01am (EST), July 4, 2009. A one week registration sale will take place with a special price of only $65 for the marathon and only $55 for the half-marathon. Runners can register at www.NationalMarathon.com. The sale ends at 11:59pm (EST) on July 11th.
* 5th SunTrust National Marathon and Half Marathon
* Saturday, March 20, 2010 at 7:00am
* District inclusive marathon and half-marathon course
* Fastest flat, looped marathon course in the nation according to Running USA
* Third fastest median marathon time with more than 1,000 runners (behind Boston and Steamtown) according to Running USA
* 2009 Race Gender Breakdown
Overall 51% Men / 49% Women
Marathon 65% Men / 35% Women
Half 44% Men / 56% Women
* Mayor Adrian Fenty - Official 2009 marathon finisher and honorary race starter
* Estimated 12,000 runners expected in only the fifth year of the race
* More than $250,000 dollars raised for charity in 2009
* Boston Marathon qualifier
For more information or to register for the SunTrust National Marathon, go to: www.NationalMarathon.com.