Runner's Web
Runner's and Triathlete's Web News
Send To A friend Know someone else who's interested in running and triathlon?
Send this Runner's Web Story's URL to a friend.   Comment on this story.
Visit the FrontPage for the latest news.   |     View in Runner's Web Frame

Posted: July 27, 2009  : Add to Mixx! Subscribe to stories like this

Triathlon: 1200 athletes for the Monaco Ironman 70.3, 6 September 2009

With less than two months to race day, registration is well underway and will continue as the organization of the event and the Relay Challenge takes place. The 5th edition, extremely international as usual, will welcome a high percentage of amateurs. Rookie or Pro, the athletes are all preparing.

1200 athletes have registered to compete in the race in Monaco on the 6th of September at 7am. The percentage of pros and amateurs is 1% versus 99%. Of the total field 89% are men -- leaving women at 11%. The average age of the athletes is 38 years for men and 36 for women. The youngest athlete to register is 19 years old. For 41% of the competitors this will be their first Ironman and for 48% their first 70.3 (which is half of a full Ironman).

France represents 24% of the athletes with the United Kingdom following with 19% and Italy, Germany and Switzerland all on 9%. Olympique Nice Natation and AS Monaco are the most represented clubs to date.

40 teams registered for the Relay Challenge. The rule is simple: three competitors per team, one competitor per discipline, one challenge for a team medal. Friend's bet, international business's compete, the race is primarily a reflection of the spirit of triathlon: sharing, fun and sport. Partner of the event, Radio Monaco, will follow the team CERAM for their second participation. The team CERAM won an on-air competition on Radio Monaco for a package that included training, coaching and medical evaluation for each athlete. All combinations of athletes are allowed, only one obligation: enjoy it and cross the line with a great team spirit!

For both events, which take place on the same day, registration is still open. Fantastic race, team spirit, glamorous principality, international sports competition in one of the most beautiful places in the world, the Monaco Ironman 70.3 and Ironman Monaco Relay Challenge is all that!

As it was in Nice in June, respect of the environment will be a requirement of the organizing team. Again the program 4vita® will be integrated into all aspects of the race: athletes, volunteers, public authorities (Société Monegasque Assainissement and Nice Côte d'Azur) and the public will be educated for a race that is clean and respectful of the surrounding landscape. 50% of the athletes declared that they modified their habits and follow simple rules in order to minimize their impact on the environment.

Monaco IRONMAN 70.3
6 September 2009
1.9km SWIM | 90km BIKE | 21.1km RUN
50 qualifying slots for the Ironman 70.3 World Championship in Clearwater, Florida
30 qualifying slots for the Ironman World Championship in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
www.monaco-ironman.com
Relay Challenge: www.monaco-ironman.com > Relay Challenge
4vita® program: www.4vita.org 
Monaco Social Responsibility

Subscribe to the Runner's Web Weekly Digest
Check out our FrontPage for all the latest running and triathlon news.



Top of News
Runner's Web FrontPage

© 1996 - 2009 RunnersWeb.com - All rights reserved.
  Google Search for: Q: size=31 maxlength=255 value="" style="font-size:8pt; background-color: #FFCC33; color: #000000">   in   Web Site       Translate