OTTAWA - The 2009 International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF) World Championships in Athletics kick off this Saturday August 15th in Berlin, Germany. Please visit http://www.athletics.ca/berlin2009 for all World Championship information including the CBC broadcast and cbcsports live streaming schedules, flash quotes, results and more.
Canadians Ready to Shine Day 1
- Esther Akinsulie of Ottawa, ON - 400m, Round 1
- Dylan Armstrong of Kamloops, BC - Shot Put, Qualification & Final
- Bryan Barnett of Edmonton, AB - 100m, Round 1&2
- Nathan Brannen, Cambridge, ON - 1500m, Round 1
- Kelsie Hendry, Saskatoon, SK - Pole Vault, Qualification
- Brianne Theisen, Humboldt, SK - Heptathlon; 100m Hurdles, High Jump, Shot Put, 200m
For the complete Canadian Content including competition times please visit: Athletics.ca.
World Championships entries - Canadians in the Top Ten
- 2nd in the 100m hurdles is Priscilla Lopes-Schliep of Whitby, ON
- Perdita Felicien of Pickering, ON is ranked 5th in the 100m hurdles
- The men's 4x100m relay team is ranked 8th
- Kamloops, BC"s Dylan Armstrong enters the competition in 9th place
- Gary Reed of Victoria, BC is ranked 10th in the 800m
- For the complete list: Athletics.ca
The team objective of two medals is the focus for this edition of the World Championships and it is currently completing its final stages of preparation at a training camp in Kamen-Kaiserau, Germany. At the last showing of the World Championships in 2007, Canada won two silver medals; Perdita Felicien of Pickering, ON and Gary Reed of Victoria, BC in the 100 metre hurdles and 800 metres respectively.