Julie-Anne Staehli from Kingston, Ontario won this morning's Emilie's Run - the Emilie Mondor memorial 5K race in Ottawa. Natasha Wodak of Vancouver was second and Cleo Boyd of KIngston was third.
Under clear skies and unsually hot and humid conditions Wodak and Staehli went right to the front and passed the 1K mark in 3:03.They passed the 2K mark in 6:17 which was one second under the 6:18 split Rachel Hannah ran when she set the course record on 15:57.5 in 2014.
Julie-Anne Staehli of Kingston won this morning's Emilie's Run 5K in Ottawa in a time of 16:25.8 - Photo: RunnersWeb.com
Wodak built up a bit of a lead by 3K which she passed in 9:41 - 11 seconds slower than the 2014 course record split of 9:30. Staehli caught up to Wodak and they ran together for a while until Staehl started pulling away. Between the 3 and 4K mark - passed by Staehl in 13:06 - Staehl put a good gap on Wodak and she cruised to the finish to win in 16:25.8. Wodak was second in 16:47.0 and Boyd finished third in 17:01.3.
Lioudmila Kortchaguina of Markham placed fourth and first Masters in 17:17.8 and Paula WIltse of Brockville placed fifth and 2nd Masters in 18:07.5.
Britt Halvorsen of Ottawa was the first Junior (18 and under) finishing in 20:42.8.
The race started and finished at the Aviation Museum and was run along the Sir George-Étienne Cartier Parkway formerly known as the Rockcliffe Parkway.
Sixteen women broke the 20 minute mark.
The race is organized by Run Ottawa and presented by Sports4.
In addition to the women's 5K race, a 1K run for children 12 and under and a 100M Tot Trot fir children undeer 5 were run.
Top 10 results with prize money:
1. Julie-Anne Staehli, Kingston - 16:25.8 - $1,000
2. Natasha Wodak, Vancouver - 16:47.0 - $750
3. Cleo Boyd, Kingston - 17:01.3 - $550
4. Lioudmila Kortchaguina, Markham - 17:18.8 - $400
5. Paula Wiltse, Brockville -18:07.5 - $300
6. Sabrina St-Gelais 18:32.3
7. Nadine Frost, Ottawa - 18:43.5 * (first Ottawa finisher)
8. Erin O'Higgins, Ottawa - 18:45.3
9. Emma Rikey,Ottawa - 18:50.4
10. Jackie Sandoz, Ottawa - 18:55.0
Top 3 Masters
1.Lioudmila Kortchaguina, Markham 17:17.8 - $500
2. Paula Wiltse, Brockville -18:07.5
3. Jackie Sandoz, Ottawa - 18:55.0
Top Junior (18 and under)
1. Britt Halvorsen, Ottawa - 20:42.8 - $250
Complete results are available at Sportstats.ca.