The Vitality Big Half - London’s most exciting half-marathon - returns in 2019 on Sunday 10 March and general entries open today (Thursday).
Spectators cheer on Sir Mo Farah and Callum Hawkins. The Vitality Big Half, Sunday 4th March 2018 - Photo: Ian Walton for The Vitality Big Half
The half-marathon, which starts close to the Tower of London and finishes at the Cutty Sark, was created to celebrate London’s diversity and inspire more people to get active and take up running.
More than 11,000 runners of all ages, backgrounds and abilities, many of whom came from the four London boroughs the event passes through - Tower Hamlets, Southwark, Lewisham and Greenwich - took part last March as The Vitality Big Half celebrated the diversity of the capital.
They were led from the front by Sir Mo Farah who beat a world-class field that included 2017 Virgin Money London Marathon winner Daniel Wanjiru to win the race.
Uniquely, exclusive places, priced at just £10, were provided for community groups from the four host boroughs. Nearly 2,700 runners from these groups took part.
Hugh Brasher, Event Director of The Vitality Big Half, said: "The Vitality Big Half was a huge success and genuinely a huge step forward in creating an event that reflects London’s unique diversity. Our vision is for an event that is both Truly Global, with an elite field featuring great runners, and Uniquely Local as we continue with our ambition to inspire more people, from all backgrounds, to take part in running."
Nick Read, Commercial Director at Vitality, said: "We’re delighted with the success of last year’s event and thrilled to again be title sponsor for The Vitality Big Half 2019. We believe that sport is a brilliant way to bring people with different backgrounds together, and The Vitality Big Half‘s aim to both encourage activity at a grassroots level and to showcase some of the best elite athletes is something that we are very excited about."
The 2019 Vitality Big Half on Sunday 10 March will once again also feature:
- The Little Half, a family-friendly run for all ages and abilities; and
- The Big Relay which sees teams of four from the host boroughs of Tower Hamlets, Southwark, Lewisham and Greenwich, run The Vitality Big Half in four legs.
From today (Thursday) the first 7,000 general entries for The Big Half will be on sale at £39.00 (£35.00 for club runners) on a first come, first served basis. This includes 1,500 discounted entries at £30.00 reserved exclusively for residents in the four host boroughs of Tower Hamlets, Southwark, Lewisham and Greenwich. To enter The Vitality Big Half 2019, click here.
Community groups from the four host boroughs of Tower Hamlets, Southwark, Lewisham and Greenwich can apply for the discounted £10 places by emailing Community.Entries@TheBigHalf.co.uk
About the Vitaility Big Half
- The Vitality Big Half is a new world-class mass participation event, organised by London Marathon Events, which features a half marathon (13.1 miles) and other events held on closed roads in London on Sunday 10 March 2019
- It is also a campaign. This unique event demonstrates how sport and community can get together to inspire social change, create social cohesion and improve health and wellbeing
- Find out more at TheBigHalf.co.uk.
- Since 1981, The London Marathon Charitable Trust has awarded grants totalling more than £66 million to 1,170+ organisations in London, Surrey and other areas