Saucony Athletes Seek To Find Their Strong, Spot On 2016 U.S. Olympic Team
LEXINGTON, MA (February 9, 2016) - Reigning U.S. marathon champion Jared Ward and 2015 Pittsburgh marathon champion Clara Santucci are leading a group of Saucony athletes each seeking to "find their strong" and a coveted spot on the U.S. Olympic Team at the 2016 U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials. Taking place on Saturday, February 13, 2016 in Los Angeles, the top three finishers from the men’s and women’s races will be nominated to represent the U.S. in the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
Jared Ward: Return to Form, a video highlighting Ward’s running journey, launched today as part of Saucony’s "Podium Seeker" video series featuring Saucony athletes seeking a spot on the 2016 U.S. Olympic Team.
In addition to Ward and Santucci, the Team Saucony roster also includes: Sean Quigley, U.S. 7-mile road champion in 2014; Timothy Richie, second fastest American in the half-marathon in 2015; Michelle Lilienthal, three-time U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials qualifier; and Meghan Peyton, two-time Olympic Marathon Trials qualifier.
"These extraordinary athletes represent the most talented team the brand has ever fielded for the marathon trials," said Mark Bossardet, vice president of sports marketing for Saucony. "We’re proud of every single one of them; they empower and inspire us. As a company of runners, we know how hard they’ve worked to reach this incredible goal. They’ve prepared all their life for this moment and the whole Saucony team will be with them every step of the way as they pursue their Olympic dreams."
Team Saucony competing at the 2016 Olympic Marathon Trials is as follows:
Jared Ward: Provo Utah, 27
Marathon PR: 2:12:56
* USATF National Marathon Champion, 2015
* USATF Road Race Circuit Champion, 2015
* USATF National 20K & 25K Champion
Sean Quigley: Braintree, MA, 31
Marathon PR: 2:13:30
* USATF National 7-Mile Road Champion, 2014
* 4th 2014 USATF National 10,000m Champion
* 5th 2014 U.S. XC Championships
Timothy Ritchie: Brighton, MA, 28
Marathon PR: 2:14:49
* Second fastest American of 2015 at half marathon (1:01:23)
* 10th all-time U.S. list in the half marathon
* New England XC Champion, 2008
Clara Santucci: Dilliner, PA., 28
Marathon PR: 2:29:54
* 2014 & 2015 Pittsburgh Marathon Champion
* 6th overall; 2nd American at 2014 Chicago Marathon
* 7th 2012 U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials
Michelle Lilienthal: Portland, Maine, 33
Marathon PR: 2:34:49
* Three-time-U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials Qualifier
* 4th USATF National Marathon Championships, 2013
* USATF Minnesota Runner of the Year, 2010
Meghan Peyton: Bloomington, MN, 30
Marathon PR: 2:38:57
* Two-time Olympic Marathon Trials Qualifier
* 8th 2015 USATF National Marathon Championships
* 2013 USATF National 20K Champion
About Saucony: Saucony, a division of Wolverine Worldwide, is a leading global running lifestyle brand that fuses performance, innovation and style to create compelling footwear and apparel with its widely recognized brands Saucony and Saucony Originals. Founded in 1898, Saucony continues to inspire runners everywhere with its award winning innovations, including EVERUN(TM), ISOFIT(TM), Geometry of Strong(TM), PWRGRID+(TM), and the Total Run System(TM) apparel line. At Saucony, a good day is when we get to run. A great day is when we inspire someone else to run. For more information, go to Saucony.com.