British Triathlon anticipates more than 10,000 people will be inspired to get involved in the sport this summer as it launches the #YourGOTRI campaign. With all eyes on Rio, and a world-class squad of Team GB and ParalympicsGB athletes, British Triathlon is rallying the triathlon industry to support the campaign and turn inspiration into participation.
The #YourGOTRI campaign, running throughout the Rio 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games period, encourages newcomers to the sport to get into the spirit this summer and create their own personal triathlon experience. Simply by visiting www.gotri.org/yourgotri, people can create their own triathlon, selecting a swim, cycle and run from options including a "trip to the pool", "pedal in the park", and "jog round the block". Participants can also select to "row in the gym" instead of swim, if they’d rather not get wet, or don’t have a local pool.
Once participants have created their own triathlon, they’ll be supported with top tips from the experts at British Triathlon. Participants have the opportunity to Tri Something New and the chance to win triathlon starter packs provided by British Triathlon sponsors and suppliers.
Working in partnership with the Triathlon Industry Association, clubs and event organisers, British Triathlon will encourage current triathletes to engage family and friends in the sport. Using social media toolkits, key triathlon stakeholders can back the campaign and amplify this message, ultimately growing the sport.
Since London 2012, triathlon has enjoyed significant growth. The number of triathlon events increased by 63% from 2012 to 2016, with on average 24 events per week across Great Britain. Growth has also been seen across all demographics with 88% growth in Home Nation membership amongst women, and 169% growth amongst young people aged 16-18.
Jack Buckner, CEO of British Triathlon, says: "The aim of this campaign is to inspire new triathletes and break down any perceived barriers about the sport being too challenging, intimidating or expensive. Anyone who completes a swim, a bike and a run is a triathlete, and the goal is to encourage people to enter a triathlon event in 2017, giving themselves an achievable goal to work towards. Setting a goal is a great way of increasing commitment to regular activity."
If your organisation is interested to get involved in the #YourGOTRI campaign this summer, please contact Katie.firstname.lastname@example.org. If you want to get involved, please visit YourGoTri to create your triathlon, and to find out more about how you can get into the sport.
- #YourGOTRI is an umbrella social and digital campaign to inspire participation in triathlon, maximising the excitement around the Rio 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
- Promoted in partnership with key organisations, across social media and consumer media, #YourGOTRI provides an online platform enabling participants to create and take part in their own triathlon (swim, bike & run) in August & September.
- This campaign builds upon the GO TRI "brand" as the entrance into the triathlon journey, creating opportunity to encourage ongoing participation.
About GO TRI
- GO TRI events are fun, low cost and accessible distances for triathlon beginners.
- GO TRI training sessions are fun, informal and informative training sessions for triathlon beginners.
- GO TRI training sessions and events are available through triathlon clubs and leisure centres across England.
- GOTRI offers the perfect platform for anyone looking to start a triathlon journey.