Tata Consultancy Services, Premier Partner of New York Road Runners and title sponsor of the TCS New York City Marathon, joined by Foundation Partners Airbnb, ASICS, and United Airlines and first-time race partners in bringing unique and immersive activities to the running community
New York, October 31, 2016 - New York Road Runners (NYRR) and its partners are excited to announce a variety of official activations and events during the 2016 TCS New York City Marathon. These activations will provide runners and fans an immersive race experience and will be featured in the week leading up to the TCS New York City Marathon and throughout the 26.2-mile course on Sunday, November 6.
"Our TCS New York City Marathon partners are an integral part of the race week and race day experience," said Sarah Cummins, head of business development and strategic partnerships at New York Road Runners. "Together with our partners, the TCS New York City Marathon continues to be a trailblazer in creating new technology applications and event activations for runners, spectators and viewers, and we’re excited to bring millions of people together on such an inspirational day."
Activation highlights surrounding race week are included below, and a full list of this year’s TCS New York City Marathon partners is available at www.tcsnycmarathon.org/about-the-race/partners
TATA CONSULTANCY SERVICES (TCS)
Tata Consultancy Services, one of the world's leading IT services and consulting firms, is the Premier Partner of NYRR, the title sponsor of the TCS New York City Marathon, and Official Youth and Community Services Partner of NYRR.
- During the race, NYRR and TCS will outfit several participants - including professional runners and wheelchair athletes - with wearable technology that will collect biometric data to track their performance in real time. That data will be featured in the race day broadcast and will compare results to show the effect of the race on the athletes’ performances, with data points including heart rate, breathing rate, cadence, and pace, as well as the relative conditions of the course and the environment; including elevation, grade, and weather.
- Visitors to the TCS New York City Marathon Health and Wellness Expo and the TCS New York City Marathon Pavilion can experience the most immersive interactive pre-race experience to date. TCS will be offering large-scale augmented reality of the race course featuring a custom table outfitted with tablets allowing runners and fans to experience course elevation changes, mile markers, fluid stations, points of interest, and TCS Runfographics.
- Runners and fans can also check out the TCS New York City Marathon in full virtual reality. An immersive VR experience, powered by Tata Consultancy Services, will be available, and is supported by mobile-enabled headsets and surround-sound headphones.
- The 2016 TCS New York City Marathon Mobile App Powered by Tata Consultancy Services, available now, features: live on-map tracking of up to 20 runners on race day; the ability to locate and unlock Smile Markers, which are map-pin-shaped markers stationed throughout the city that highlight noteworthy facts and elements of the TCS New York City Marathon; an interactive expo map; Race Predictor; a 2017 entry sweepstakes; and a number of other features. Developed by Tata Consultancy Services, the app is available for download free of charge at the iTunes Store and Google Play.
- TCS will again sponsor the TCS goIT Marathon App Contest and Awards Presentation, taking place at the TCS New York City Marathon Pavilion on Friday, November 4 at 2:00 p.m. Four goIT finalists from city schools will present the fitness app they have created to a panel of three judges: Yogesh Anand, Global Head of Strategic Relationships, TCS; Michael Capiraso, NYRR President and CEO, and Tish Hamilton, Executive Editor of Runner’s World Magazine.
Airbnb is a foundation partner of NYRR and the official community and hospitality partner. Airbnb supports NYRR’s year-round events and initiatives.
- The Airbnb Run Hub will return to the TCS New York City Marathon Pavilion in 2016 offering runners and visitors free lockers to use during those final pre-race shakeout runs. Airbnb will also be offering local hospitality and the opportunity to connect with other runners and visitors in the Run Hub space. The Airbnb Run Hub will be open during regular 2016 TCS New York City Marathon Pavilion operating hours. View the full schedule.
ASICS is an NYRR Foundation Partner and the official footwear and apparel sponsor of the TCS New York City Marathon.
- In 2016, ASICS is encouraging athletes of all levels to make a positive impact through running by adding an "Extra Mile" to their workout. Through Nov. 7, ASICS will donate a pair of running shoes to Girls on the Run, a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting self-confidence and healthy lifestyles for young girls, for every $100 spent on ASICS products within select New York run specialty stores and at participating retail locations nationwide.
- The Extra Mile campaign will also be part of the official 2016 TCS New York City Marathon campaign, "Get Your New York On," through Smile Markers. To commemorate ASICS’ Extra Mile campaign, a customized 27th Extra Mile Smile Marker will be located at the ASICS store in the Meatpacking District (420 W. 14th Street).
- The Extra Mile campaign celebration will continue on Marathon Monday, with a ceremonial one-mile run starting at the race finish line in Central Park at West 67th Street. Twenty-five runners who embody the spirit of the campaign, including ASICS elite athlete, first-time marathoner and Rio 2016 Olympic gold medalist Gwen Jorgensen and Girls on the Run members will be among the participants.
- The TCS New York City Marathon Store Presented by ASICS will again be available for runners and visitors at the TCS New York City Marathon Health and Wellness Expo. This year ASICS will offer special edition footwear, apparel, and accessories.
United Airlines, an NYRR Foundation Partner, and year-round supporter of NYRR programs and events. United Airlines has been a partner of NYRR for more than 20 years and is the official airline of the TCS New York City Marathon.
- At the TCS New York City Marathon Health and Wellness Expo, United Airlines will showcase the United Polaris business class experience and highlight the power of sleep in athletic performance in partnership with Meb Keflezighi. Visitors can experience United Polaris in virtual reality and enter for a chance to win a trip on United Polaris to a global dream run destination with curated runner’s gear. Meb will be on hand throughout the week to discuss the importance of sleep in athletic performance.
- United Airlines also returns as the presenting sponsor of the TCS New York City Marathon Opening Ceremony Presented by United Airlines on Friday, November 4.
New 2016 TCS New York City Marathon Partners
New York Road Runners is thrilled to welcome four new partners to the TCS New York City Marathon in 2016. Each offers unique, compelling platforms for this year’s race participants.
As the leader in the connected health and fitness market and official fitness tracker of the race, Fitbit will be showcasing its products, including the new Flex 2 and Charge 2 activity trackers, at the TCS New York City Marathon Health and Wellness Expo. Fitbit’s activity trackers and mobile tools help runners perform at their personal best. Fitbit will also be demonstrating an immersive and engaging new feature in the Fitbit app called Adventures that allows anyone to virtually experience the TCS New York City Marathon course powered by their daily step activity.
Fitbit will also host shakeout runs led by its brand ambassador team of professional athletes including elite distance runners Ryan and Sara Hall and ultramarathon runner Dean Karnazes. Sara and Dean are participants in the 2016 TCS New York City Marathon. More information is available on Fitbit’s website.
Michelob ULTRA, the fastest-growing beer brand in the United States, is an NYRR Strategic Partner and proud to be the official beer of the TCS New York City Marathon, continuing its support of celebrating active lifestyles.
- During TCS New York City Marathon week, Michelob ULTRA will be hosting happy hours, giveaways, and other activities for runners and spectators alike at the TCS New York City Marathon Pavilion in Central Park. Happy hours will be Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday night from 4:00 to 8:00 p.m. Visitors ages 21 and over can expect giveaways and complimentary samples of Michelob ULTRA. During happy hours Michelob ULTRA will give visitors the opportunity to create signs with a face print, either of themselves or the runner they are cheering on.
- Leading up to Marathon Sunday, you can find Michelob ULTRA at Tavern on the Green’s special to-go window near the South Terrace on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- On Marathon Sunday, spectators ages 21 and over can find Michelob ULTRA, fun giveaway prizes, and sign-making kits at bars along the race course on First Avenue in Manhattan.
- On Monday, Nov. 7, runners who attend the Marathon Monday brunch at the Tavern on the Green Beer Garden will receive complimentary Michelob ULTRA with their meal, and some lucky fans will be gifted a limited-edition TCS New York City Marathon pint glass.
Chiquita will provide 2016 TCS New York City Marathon runners bananas on course on race day at miles 20, 21, 22, and 23.
Headspace will launch "Everybody Headspace," a new campaign to visualize the world of meditation, by utilizing digital and social channels of New York Road Runners and select social influencers. These influencers will help spark the realization that head health is just as important as body health to overall fitness.
For a second year, Foot Locker, in partnership with ASICS America Corporation, has launched the "Real Lives. Real Runners" campaign for the TCS New York City Marathon. The campaign includes a call to storytellers to submit short films about runners, including why they run and how running impacts their lives.
From Sunday, October 30 through November 4 from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., visitors to the TCS New York City Marathon Pavilion can view the top three films. The winning film will air nationally during the 2016 TCS New York City Marathon broadcast and the winning filmmaker will receive an $8,000 grant from MOFILM, plus an all-expenses-paid trip to Los Angeles for the annual MOFILM Awards.
Foot Locker will again sponsor the TCS New York City Marathon Foot Locker Five Borough Challenge, a race within the TCS New York City Marathon among five runners who have drawn inspiration from running to overcome significant challenges in their lives.
ABBOTT WORLD MARATHON MAJORS
The Abbott World Marathon Majors will honor nearly 100 runners at the 2016 TCS New York City Marathon finish line with the Abbott World Marathon Majors prized Six Star Finisher Medal. The medal is awarded to those who have successfully completed the six Abbott World Marathon Majors races: the Tokyo Marathon, Boston Marathon, Virgin Money London Marathon, BMW Berlin-Marathon, Bank of America Chicago Marathon, and TCS New York City Marathon.
THE RUDIN FAMILY
Once again, the Rudin family will present the TCS New York City Marathon male and female open and wheelchair division winners with the Samuel Rudin Trophy during finish-line ceremonies following their victories. The trophy honors Samuel Rudin, who competed as a distance runner for the Pastime Athletic Club in the Bronx from 1917 to 1923. The Lewis and Jack Rudin Award will be presented to the highest male and female fundraisers in New York City for NYRR's Team for Kids, in honor of longtime marathon supporters Jack Rudin and his brother Lewis Rudin (1927–2001).
In 2016, New York Road Runners will honor Jack Rudin at the NYRR Night of Champions on Friday, November 4, in recognition of his family’s ongoing commitment to promoting running, specifically through the TCS New York City Marathon.
WABC-TV, CHANNEL 7, AND ESPN2
The 2016 TCS New York City Marathon broadcast is produced in partnership with IMG Productions and will be televised live on Sunday, November 6, on WABC-TV, Channel 7 in the New York tri-state area from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. ET and for the rest of the nation on ESPN2 from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. ET. Additionally, the race will be available live in Spanish via ESPN Deportes+ and internationally via a variety of global broadcast partners.
Pre-race coverage will be carried live in the New York tri-state area on WABC-TV, Channel 7 from 7:00 to 9:00 a.m. ET on Sunday, November 6. Additional race-weekend programming on WABC-TV, Channel 7 includes live coverage of the TCS New York City Marathon Opening Ceremony Presented by United Airlines on Friday, November 4, from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. and the Countdown to the Starting Line on Saturday, November 5, from 7:30 to 8:00 p.m. ET. View all the broadcast details, including online and via mobile devices.
For the latest TCS New York City Marathon news and media information, please visit the NYRR online media center. Also, follow us on Twitter @nyrrnews. To join the social media conversation, search #TCSNYCMarathon.
About the TCS New York City Marathon
The TCS New York City Marathon is the premier event of New York Road Runners (NYRR) and the largest marathon in the world. Over 1,000,000 people have finished the race since its first running in 1970 with just 127 entrants and 55 finishers running four laps around Central Park. The race expanded to all five boroughs in 1976 and is now in its 40th year as a five-borough affair. Held annually on the first Sunday of November, the race features 50,000 runners including the world’s top professional athletes and a vast range of competitive, recreational, and charity runners. Participants from over 125 countries tour the city, starting on Staten Island at the foot of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge and running through the neighborhoods of Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx before ending in Manhattan. In 2015, the inaugural NYRR Youth Invitational at the TCS New York City Marathon gave young runners the opportunity to run 1.8 miles of the race course in Central Park, beginning near mile 24 and finishing at the famed TCS New York City Marathon finish line. More than one million spectators and thousands of volunteers line the city streets in support of the runners, while millions more watch the live television broadcast in the New York area on WABC-TV, Channel 7, nationally on ESPN2, and via various international broadcast partners around the world. The race is part of the Abbott World Marathon Majors, which features the world’s top marathons—Tokyo, Boston, London, Berlin, Chicago, and New York—and crowns the top professional male and female marathoners each year. Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), a leading global IT services, consulting, and business solutions organization, is the premier partner of NYRR and the title sponsor of the TCS New York City Marathon. The 46th running of the TCS New York City Marathon is set for November 6, 2016. To learn more, visit TCSNYCMarathon.org.